Course Title: Computer Networking
Course Code: G7DX 15
SCQF Level: 7
Credit Value: 15
SCQF Points: 120
Duration: 1 Year
Starting from: Jan 16 & Aug 2016
This course has been developed as a gateway to the IT sector. The learners will gain an understanding of computer software, hardware and networking. This course will allow students to study towards an up-to-date qualification in many of the skills that are in demand for many different types of career in Network Computing aspect.
The HNC Computer Networking from ITPT offers a range of broad based computing support and networking modules including modules that cover elements of the CISCO networking qualifications and CompTIA A+, N+, S+, MTA Networking & Sever & MCSA Win 7. Not many organisations in today’s technological world function without computer resources and, in nearly all cases; these are all connected to each other using local (LAN) and wide area networking technologies (WAN). These technologies can be learned and mastered by completing the both HNC & HND.
- Network Server Operating System
- Client Operating System
- PC Hardware & Operating System Essentials
- PC Hardware & Operating System Support
- Computer Networking Graded Unit 1
- Computer Networks: Building Local Area Networks
- Security Concepts
- Configuring a Desktop Operating System
- Wireless Local Area Network
Minimum Entry Requirements:
- One Higher and three Intermediate 2 courses (including at least one from Computing or Information Systems); OR
- One Higher and three Standard Grades at Credit Level; OR
- One Higher and three National 5 qualifications; OR
- A national qualification at SCQF Level 6 in a related subject (such as Digital Media Computing, Computing: Technical Support or Software Development); OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience
- Relevant knowledge/skills gained from personal experience not formally assessed. Details will be required to assess eligibility.
Course Development Routes
This course integrates learning materials from industry standard vendors such as Microsoft and Cisco which can help to prepare students for a variety of vendor certification exams.
On completion of this certificate or during the course, units relevant to any particular vendor’s certification students can appear to equip themselves with the global recognised and employers demand qualification from any of the following:
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA N+
- CompTIA Security+
- MTA Network Administrator
- MCSA Win 7
All vendors’ exam fees have to be borne by the students. But being a partner with Pearson & Certiport Testing Centre we can get student’s 20 – 30 % discounts on their exam vouchers. Tutors will also provide students (set of questions) to help them to pass if appearing for any Vendors specific external exam.
In HND, there will be more opportunity to study further vendors based SQA units which will help students to attain further vendors specific certificates which is today’s employers demand.
Progression route on course completion
On completion of this course, candidates will move on to the following:
- 2nd year in HND Computing: Networking
- Entry into the first year of related BSc Computing Degree programmes at most UK universities.
Graduates from this programme will be well-positioned to apply for industry jobs such as;
- IT Technician
- IT Support Technician
- Desktop Technician
- Network Administrator
- Network Support Technician
- Server Administrator
The forms are available to download from our website HNC Application Form or it can be collected from the Admissions Office (Admin upstairs) at ITPT Granton Campus.
1. SAAS – SAAS.GOV.COM
2. SDS – Flexible learning opportunity (who are currently employed in Scottish Based organisation not more than 100 employees can also apply for the course funding)
For Students who don’t qualify for the above fundings:
How much HNC/HND course will cost?
For students living (domiciled) in Scotland or the European Union and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees will apply:
Higher National Awards (HNC, HND)
|Full-time per year (can be paid in instalments)||£1,285|
|Part-time (can be divided per unit)||£1,285|
For rest of UK students
For students living (domiciled) in rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland and studying this course, the following fees will apply:
Higher National Awards (HNC, HND)
|Full-time per year (can be paid in instalments)||£6,510|
|Part-time (can be divided per unit)||£4,510|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
We also provide flexible fee instalments to help students in paying their fee.
There are a number of other funding opportunities available to UK and EU students to help them to pay for their studies and also to cover cost of living whilst studying. Contact the college for more details.
No Reviews found for this course.