Course Title: HNC Computer Games Development (CGD)
Progression to: HND Computer Games Development (CGD)
Group Award Code: G9NX 15
SCQF Level: 7
Credit Value: 15
SCQF Points: 120
Duration: 1 Year
Starting from: January & August
Students will study a selection of appropriate computer games and computing units designed to develop student skills and competencies in the computer games area.
Computer games developers use their expertise to design and implement games or high performance real-time simulation involving a high standard of programming and mathematical skills. As such, many of the traditional core software engineering topics are addressed in the programme but are given a different emphasis with significantly more focus on interactive computer graphics.
These technologies can be learned and mastered by completing the both HNC & HND.
What learners will I study?
- Courses include subjects such as Games Technology, Level Design and Editing, Modelling and Animation and Web Design and Development and are taught in computer labs with modern hardware and industry standard software.
- Students will study a selection of Games Development units designed to develop student’s skills and competencies to enable further study in HND Games Development.
Topics may include:
- Games Technology
- Games Programming
- Digital Imaging
- Level Design and Editing
- Modelling and Animation
- Computing Planning
- Project and Working with a Team
Minimum Entry Requirements is likely to include at least one of the following:
- One Higher pass – maths or computer science preferred,
- 2 Standard Grades at band 1 to 3 OR Intermediate 2 at band A to C
- National Certificate in Computer games at SCQF level 5 or level 6 or a combination of both OR
- Any two relevant National Courses at Higher together with three Standard Grade/Intermediate passes OR
- Relevant National Progression Awards OR
- National Units at appropriate levels combined with any of the above OR
- IT Professional Training recognises that many students come to the institutes with a wide range of expertise, skills and knowledge that has never been officially assessed. This may have been gained through a variety of personal situations OR
- If you do not have the relevant qualifications for the course you applied for, you will be required to provide details of your previous learning experiences that are of the same level as the entry qualifications for your selected course. Applicants with relevant experience but without formal qualifications may be accepted via interview OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or computing experience will also be considered OR
- Vendor qualifications (certificates) will also be accepted such as from Microsoft C#, Oracle, CIW, Adobe, etc.
Additional Selection Requirements:
All applications are subject to an interview to assess suitability in terms of academic qualifications and motivation. Reference will also be considered.
Students will be invited for a group and/or individual interview where they will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and tell us why they are interested in this particular area.
This course integrates learning materials from industry standard vendors such as Oracle, Microsoft, and Adobe which can help to prepare students for a variety of vendor certification exams.
On completion of this certificate or during the course, units relevant to any particular vendor’s certification students can appear to equip themselves with the global recognised and employers demand qualification from any of the following:
- Microsoft C # Programming (based on Windows)
- Oracle: Database Design & Programming (OOP)
In HND, there will be more opportunity to learn further vendors based SQA units which will help students to attain further vendors specific certificate which is today’s employers demand.
Progression Route on First Year Course Completion
On completion of this course, candidates will move on to the following:
- 2nd year in HND Computer Games Development
- Entry into the first year of related Degree programmes at most UK universities.
Graduates from this programme will be well-positioned to apply for industry jobs such as;
- Systems Software Administrator
- Junior Software Developer
- Software Administrator
- Games Modeller
- Junior Games Developer
The forms are available to download from our website HNC Application Form or it can be collected from the Admissions Office (Admin upstairs) at ITPT Granton Campus.
1. SAAS – SAAS.GOV.COM
2. SDS – Flexible learning opportunity (who are currently employed in Scottish Based organisation not more than 100 employees can also apply for the course funding)
For Students who don’t qualify for the above fundings:
How much HNC/HND course will cost?
For students living (domiciled) in Scotland or the European Union and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees will apply:
Higher National Awards (HNC, HND)
|Full-time per year (can be paid in instalments)||£1,285|
|Part-time (can be divided per unit)||£1,285|
For rest of UK students
For students living (domiciled) in rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland and studying this course, the following fees will apply:
Higher National Awards (HNC, HND)
|Full-time per year (can be paid in instalments)||£6,510|
|Part-time (can be divided per unit)||£4,510|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
We also provide flexible fee instalments to help students in paying their fee.
There are a number of other funding opportunities available to UK and EU students to help them to pay for their studies and also to cover cost of living whilst studying. Contact the college for more details.
If you require further information please contact us at:
62 West Harbour Road
Phone: 0131 552 5558
0131 552 5800
50 Darnely Street
Phone: 0141 429 2922