Introduction to the Award
This PDA is based on the knowledge and understanding associated with the Oracle Database Curriculum and will be attractive to candidates seeking a position as a database programmer, developer, administrator or those wanting to certificate their existing skills in a similar role prior to progressing their careers further.
The PDA in Database Programming is a 7-credit PDA(Awards 56 credits) and offers entry-level credential and designed to ensure the knowledge and proficiency to build database-centric Internet applications for Oracle by preparing student towards OCA SQL & PL/SQL and would be attractive to candidates who were looking for a position as a Database Administrator, or candidates who needed to verify their existing skills in Database Administration for progression within an organisation.
SQL is used to communicate with a database. According to ANSI (American National Standards Institute), it is the standard language for relational database management systems. SQL statements are used to perform tasks such as update data on a database, or retrieve data from a database.
PL/SQL is a procedural language designed specifically to embrace SQL statements within its syntax. PL/SQL program units are compiled by the Oracle Database server and stored inside the database. And at run-time, both PL/SQL and SQL run within the same server process, bringing optimal efficiency. PL/SQL automatically inherits the robustness, security, and portability of the Oracle Database
SQA PDA Framework:
The PDA Database programing also offers a number of shorter curricula which are related to SQA HN Units. These are also assessed by means of restricted response questions and practical labs and so can give credit transfer to complete units.
Candidates are required to achieve all four core units: The PDA comprises four Higher National units which are mapped to the Oracle: Database Programming in PL/SQL qualification.
PDA SQA Units Structure
The SQA units are as follows:
Oracle Exams and Progression Routes:
Candidate can also appear for the following exam:
- Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate Certification (OCA PL/SQL)
- Oracle certified Associate – SQL Database Programmer Certification (OCA SQL)
The units, which make up this PDA in Database Programming at SCQF Level 8 include vendor-related topics but are generic in nature with units in certain HN frameworks. Including these PDAs in the HN frameworks, allows candidates to work towards a Higher National qualification through short courses or part time study.
No Prerequisite required but candidate should have ease to use computer
Good to have some prior basic programming experience with any language but not essential.
ITPT may offer 1 week Pre-course Preparation
This statement is about access to the Professional Development Awards as a whole. However, in addition to the detail which follows, part of the specification of each and every unit includes recommended access levels. Students should normally be expected to satisfy both sets of access requirements.
Different combinations of relevant National Qualifications, Vocational Qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies may also be acceptable, as would suitable vendor qualifications at an appropriate level.
Mature candidates with suitable work experience may be accepted for entry provided the enrolling Centre believes that the candidate is likely to benefit from undertaking the award.
It would be advisable for all candidates to have some prior knowledge of computing or information technology although formal qualifications may not be necessary if suitable experience had been gained informally or through work experience.
Such work experience may provide inferred or actual evidence of a candidate’s skills and knowledge as they apply either to particular units.
Oracle Exams Training
By completing this PDA students will be able to sit for OCA DA Part 1 , OCA SQL and OCA PL/SQL associated exams. Following is breakdown of all associated exams
|Oracle Certified Associate Database Administrator (OCA DA) – Part 1|
|Oracle Certified Associate – SQL (OCA SQL)||1z0-071|
|Oracle Certified Associate – PL/SQL (OCA SQL)||1z0-071|
Why Get Certified:
With IT job openings being created faster than trained people can be found to fill them, IT certification is the best way to open the door to a higher salary, more opportunities and career fulfilment.
Trained and certified IT professionals are needed worldwide.
More IT professionals are getting certified than ever before because IT certifications:
- Validate your knowledge and skills
- Help you remain competitive and employable
- Give you job proficiency more quickly
- Show dedication to your career
The IT training classes which we are currently offering are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- School leavers
- Adult returnees to education
- Individuals who intend to leave school and further their career path in a college or equivalent
- Individuals who are in employment and wish to enhance their career prospects
- Individuals who wish to start a new career in IT
- Individuals who wants to get promotion at work
- Individuals who wants to upgrade in their IT skills
- Individuals who intend to progress their career after the study of either the NQ in Computing, the NQ in Information Systems
- Individuals who intend to progress their career after the study of the PDA into further study at HN level
- Individuals who wish to study on a part-time (day or evening) or day-release mode
Further Study Progression:
Candidates will acquire 56 SCQF credit which can be used to get exemptions towards HND Software Development and Computer Science or any other course which has a combination of all four existing units in this PDA qualification.
Candidates who successfully completed this PDA would have the knowledge and skills required to sit for the Oracle relevant exams.
Successful completion of these would allow candidates to obtain the Oracle Certified Associate/Administrator award and they can progress their career further by joining into further vendors neutral/specific relevant courses.
Classes Duration & Course delivery:
This course will be delivered 1day a week, 7 hours a week, one full classroom.
Modes of Learning:
ITPT is currently providing different method of learning opportunities to our clients. Many people are looking for learning diversity to enhance their qualifications, but they don’t have the time to take on full-time instructor led study or attending courses regularly at their appropriate venues.
Online, distance and blended learning is a popular solution helping busy people study flexibly around their needs and requirements. We want to be the first choice for those potential online and distance learners so we are introducing variety of different study channels so the people can facilitate themselves accordingly.
Modes of Course Delivery
Modes of Attendance
|Instructor Led learning||Part Time|
|Distance Blended Learning||Evening|
Career Opportunities/ Job Roles:
Upon completion of related certification exams student will be able to advance in their career if they are currently in related job role or be able to pursue roles in jobs such as:
- Database Administrator
- Database Developer
- Database Modeller
- Oracle SQL Database Administrator
- SQL Developer
- Database Programmer
- Metadata Administrator/developer
- System Administrator
- Accounts Administrator
- Core Operation Engineer (Database)
- Systems Operations Engineer – SQL, Database
- Junior Database SQL administrator
- SQL Database Developer
- Data Analyst
Reasons You Should Get this Certification
- You’ll earn a higher salary
- Oracle Certification is globally recognized
- It gives you a competitive edge
- You’ll get more opportunities
- Your skills will be universal.
At the end of the award candidates will be able to:
- Create and maintain a data storage system
- Manipulate data stored within a table structure and produce formatted reports
- Explain the terminology and techniques used in the design of relational information systems
- Create a relational database design from user requirements
- Describe the issues involved in implementing a relational database system
- Implement structures and manipulate data in a relational database management system
- Use a programming language to interface with a relational database management system
- Use programming techniques to develop program modules
- Implement a solution from a design and test the completed product
- Create technical and user documentation
You will be expected to attend an interview with a member of the course team. There will be a basic aptitude test to observe your understanding of this course. Course consultant will help you in filling forms and provide you further guidance if require.
This course is FREE (SAAS part-time funding) to anyone who is receiving state benefits or earning £25,000 or less, given that they have not used SAAS/ILA funding towards any other course/training in the last 12 months.
Those in receipt of following benefits are automatically eligible:
- Jobseekers allowance
- Income support
- Incapacity Benefit/Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (minimum rate)
- Pension Credit
Apply for course funding
Our Courses are fully funded by SAAS: Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Please visit the SAAS website www.saas.gov.uk to see your eligibility.
For Students who don’t qualify for the above fundings:
How much will this course cost?
If for any reason you do not qualify for SAAS funding our fees are as follows for students living in UK or the European Union:
PDA Database Programming
|Full Course (can be paid in instalments)||£650|
Fees are payable in advance at the start of course unless otherwise agreed.
We also provide flexible fee instalments to help students in paying their fee.
There are a number of other funding opportunities available to UK and EU students to help them to pay for their studies. Contact the college for more details.