The PDA comprises two Higher National units which are mapped to the Cisco IT Essentials and CompTIA A+ qualification. PC Hardware and Operating System Support and PC Hardware and Operating System Essentials covers the fundamentals of installing and maintaining computer hardware, basic networking and supporting operating systems. This course results in the vendor qualification Cisco IT Essentials with an option to sit the CompTIA A+ Exam.
The CompTIA A+ certification ensures that the successful candidate has the important knowledge and skills necessary (Exam 901) to covers the fundamentals of computer technology, installation and configuration of PCs, laptops and related hardware, and basic networking. Exam 902 covers the skills required to install and configure PC operating systems, as well as configuring common features (e.g. network connectivity and email) for mobile operating systems Android and Apple iOS
Candidates can choose any of the following exam certifications:
Exam Title: CompTIA A+
Exam Code: 901 – 902
No Prerequisite required.
An interest in computer hardware. Industrial experience or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
The IT training classes which we are currently offering are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- School leavers
- Adult returnees to education
- Individuals who intend to leave school and further their career path in a college or equivalent
- Individuals who are in employment and wish to enhance their career prospects
- Individuals who wish to start a new career in IT
- Individuals who want to get promotion at work
- Individuals who want to upgrade their IT skills
- Individuals who intend to progress their career after the study of either the NQ in Computing, the NQ in Information Systems
- Individuals who intend to progress their career after the study of the PDA into further study at HN level
- Individuals who wish to study on a part-time (day or evening) or day-release mode
The CompTIA A + program also offers a number of shorter curricula which are related to SQA HN Units. These are also assessed by means of restricted response questions and practical labs and so can give credit transfer to complete units.
The SQA units are as follows:
|Unit Titles||Unit Codes||SCQF Points||SCQF Level||SQA Credit Value|
|Computing: PC Hardware and Operating Systems Essentials
|Computing: PC Hardware and Operating Systems Support||H17F 34||8||7||1|
Why Get Certified:
With IT job openings being created faster than trained people can be found to fill them, IT certification is the best way to open the door to a higher salary, more opportunities and career fulfilment.
Trained and certified IT professionals are needed worldwide.
More IT professionals are getting certified than ever before because IT certifications:
- Validate your knowledge and skills
- Help you remain competitive and employable
- Give you job proficiency more quickly
- Show dedication to your career
Further Study Progression:
Candidates might also want to use this PDA to progress to further study in
Computing or Computer Networking at Higher National level.
On achieving this PDA candidates would also have the knowledge and skills required to sit the
CompTIA A+ examination. Successful completion of this PDA would fully prepare
Candidates for the CompTIA A+ examination and offers progression to higher levels of study.
Classes Duration & Course delivery
This course will be delivered 1day a week, 7 hours a week, one full classroom.
4 months in total plus mock exam (2weeks), Week Day, & Weekend classes.
16-18 weeks – Flexible start date and attendance
|Modes of Course Delivery||Modes of Attendance|
|Instructor Led learning||Part Time|
|Distance Blended Learning||Evening|
- Network Engineer
- Computer Support Technician
- IT Helpdesk Operator
- Technical Support specialist
- Helpdesk Technician
- Network Support Technician
- Field service technician
- IT support technician
- IT support administrator
- IT support specialist
5 Reasons You Should Get this Certification:
- You’ll earn a higher salary
- Cisco IT Essential A+ is globally recognized
- It gives you a competitive edge
- You’ll get more opportunities
- Your skills will be universal.
What would you learn at the end course completion?
At the end of the award candidates will be able to:
- Describe PC and laptop fundamentals
- Install, optimise and upgrade current operating systems
- Install and configure printers and scanners
- Implement basic networks and security
- Describe basic end user support
- Implement advanced features of PCs and laptops.
- Operate advanced operating system features.
- Implement advanced printing and scanning features.
- Implement advanced networks and security
- Identify safety and environmental issues and communicate with an end user.
You will be expected to attend an interview with a member of the course team. They will help you in filling forms and provide you further guidance if require.
This course is FREE (SAAS part-time funding) to anyone who is on benefits or earning £25,000 or less, given that they have not used SAAS/ILA funding towards any other course/training in the last 12 months.
Those in receipt of following benefits are automatically eligible:
- Jobseekers allowance
- Income support
- Incapacity Benefit/Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (minimum rate)
- Pension Credit
Apply for course funding
Our Courses are fully funded by SAAS: Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Please visit the SAAS website www.saas.gov.uk to see your eligibility.
For Students who don’t qualify for the above fundings:
How much will this course cost?
If for any reason you do not qualify for SAAS funding our fees are as follows for students living in the UK or the European Union:
PDA Computer Support
|Full Course (can be paid in instalments)||£500|
Fees are payable in advance at the start of course unless otherwise agreed.
We also provide flexible fee instalments to help students in paying their fee.
There are a number of other funding opportunities available to UK and EU students to help them to pay for their studies. Contact the college for more details.