PDA Information Technology
Introduction to the Award
This Professional Development Award (PDA) is one of a suite that was designed to incorporate the knowledge and understanding required by popular Vendors’ Neutral award into SQA’s Higher National frameworks.
The PDA in Information Technology is a four-credit PDA that covers the knowledge and understanding associated with the Microsoft office specialist – core Program and would be attractive to candidates who are looking for a position as an IT office Administrator, or candidates who needed to verify their existing skills in office administration for progression within an organisation.
This PDA will enable candidates to improve their professional practice and provides them with Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
The PDA Office Technology Microsoft program also offers a number of shorter curricula that are related to SQA HN Units at SCQF level 7 in Administration and Technology. These are also assessed by means of restricted response questions and practical labs and so can give credit transfer to complete units.
Candidates are required to achieve all three core units:
The PDA comprises three Higher National units which are mapped to the Microsoft: Office Specialist qualification.
The SQA units are as follows:
|Unit Titles||Unit Codes||SCQF Points||SCQF Level||SQA Credit Value|
|IT in Business: Word Processing and Presentation Applications||HH84 34||16||7||2|
|IT in Business: Spreadsheets||HH83 34||8||7||1|
|IT in Business: Databases||F84X 34||8||7||1|
- IT and Communication skills as SCQF level 5 or equivalent.
- Mature candidates with suitable work experience in an administration environment.
- It would be advisable for all candidates to have some prior knowledge of computing or information technology although formal qualifications may not be necessary if suitable experience had been gained informally or through work experience.
- NQ/SVQ in Administration
Why Get Certified:
With IT job openings being created faster than trained people can be found to fill them, IT certification is the best way to open the door to a higher salary, more opportunities and career fulfillment.
Trained and certified IT professionals are needed worldwide.
More IT professionals are getting certified than ever before because IT certifications:
- Validate your knowledge and skills
- Help you remain competitive and employable
- Give you job proficiency more quickly
- Show dedication to your career
The IT training classes which we are currently offering are suitable for a wide range of candidates including:
- School leavers
- Adult returnees to education
- Individuals who intend to leave school and further their career path in a college or equivalent
- Individuals who are in employment and wish to enhance their career prospects
- Individuals who wish to start a new career in IT
- Individuals who want to get a promotion at work
- Individuals who want to upgrade in their IT skills
- Individuals who intend to progress their career after the study of the PDA into further study at HN level
Further Study Progression:
Candidates will acquire 32 SCQF credits which can be utilised to get exemptions towards HNC Administration and Information Technology or HNC Information Technology.
Candidates who successfully completed this PDA would have the knowledge and skills required to sit for the Microsoft Office Specialist Core exams (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
Successful completion of this would allow candidates to join the following courses; HNC Administration and IT, HNC in IT, and PDA in administrative Management.
This course will be delivered 1day a week, 2 to 3.5 hours a day, one full classroom,
4 months in total.
Modes of Learning:
ITPT is currently providing different methods of learning opportunities to our clients. Many people are looking for learning diversity to enhance their qualifications, but they don’t have the time to take on full-time instructor led study or attending courses regularly at their appropriate venues.
Online, distance and blended learning is a popular solution helping busy people study flexibly around their needs and requirements. We want to be the first choice for those potential online and distance learners so we are introducing a variety of different study channels so the people can facilitate themselves accordingly.
Modes of Course Delivery
Modes of Attendance
|1. Instructor Led learning|
|2. Blended learning|
|3. Distance Blended Learning|
Career Opportunities/ Job Roles:
Upon completion of module, the passing of the Microsoft exams and the attainment of the MCSA certification. The student will be able to advance in their career if their present jobs or be able to pursue roles in jobs such as:
Some of the most common job roles for those that hold an MCSA qualification are:
- Systems Analyst
- Support Engineer
- Infrastructure Engineer
- 3rd Line Support Technician
- Systems Administrator
5 Reasons You Should Get this Certification:
- You’ll earn a higher salary
- Microsoft Certification is globally recognized
- It gives you a competitive edge
- You’ll get more opportunities
- Your skills will be universal.
What would you learn at the end of course completion?
At the end of the award candidates will be able to:
- Install a client operating system
- Implement and administer resources
- Implement, manage and troubleshoot hardware devices and drivers
- Monitor and optimize system performance and reliability
- Configure and troubleshoot the desktop environment
- Implement network protocols and services
- Implement, monitor and troubleshoot security
- Manage and maintain physical and logical devices
- Manage users, computers and groups
- Manage and maintain access to resources
- Manage and maintain a server environment
- Manage and implement disaster recovery
- Implement, manage and maintain IP addressing
- Implement, manage and maintain name resolution
- Implement, manage and maintain network security
- Implement, manage and maintain remote access
- Maintain a network infrastructure
You will be expected to attend an interview with a member of the course team. There will be a basic aptitude test to observe your understanding of this course. Course consultant will help you in filling forms and provide you further guidance if required.
This course is FREE (SAAS part-time funding) to anyone who is on benefits or earning £25,000 or less, given that they have not used SAAS/ILA funding towards any other course/training in the last 12 months.
Those in receipt of the following benefits are automatically eligible:
- Jobseekers allowance
- Income support
- Incapacity Benefit/Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (minimum rate)
- Pension Credit
Apply for course funding
Our Courses are fully funded by SAAS: Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Please visit the SAAS website www.saas.gov.uk to see your eligibility.
For Students who don’t qualify for the above fundings:
How much will this course cost?
If for any reason you do not qualify for SAAS funding our fees are as follows for students living in the UK or the European Union:
PDA Information Technology
|Full Course (can be paid in installments)||£500|
Fees are payable in advance at the start of the course unless otherwise agreed.
We also provide flexible fee installments to help students in paying their fees.
There are a number of other funding opportunities available to UK and EU students to help them to pay for their studies. Contact the college for more details.