Progression To –
HND COMPUTING: TECHNICAL SUPPORT (TS)
HND COMPUTING: NETWORKING (NET)
HND COMPUTING: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT (SD)
HND COMPUTING: COMPUTER SCIENCE (CS)
Course Title: HNC Computing
Progression to: HND (Technical Support, Networking, Software Development, Computer Science)
Group Award Code: GF3E 15
SCQF Level: 7
Credit Value: 15
SCQF Points: 120
Duration: 1 Year
Starting from: Jan 16 & Aug 2016
This HNC Computing course provides student with a foundation in all areas of computing so they can make well-versed choices before specialising in their desired field.
Technical Support & Networking: The HNC Computing will provide you with useful foundations for a successful career in computing technology. This course has been developed as a gateway to the IT sector. The learners will gain an understanding of computer software, web development, server, cloud, database, hardware installation & maintenance and networking. This course will allow students to study towards an up-to-date qualification in many of the skills that are in demand for many different types of career in Network Computing & Technical Support.
Software Development & Computer Science: The HNC Computing course aims to equip students with the skills leading to a variety of employment opportunities. This course will introduce learners to a large array of software development skills which are required to compete in an expanding software labour force. It is a broad-based course which will introduce you to, and develop your knowledge of, aspects of Software Programming, Database, Web Technology and Project Management,
The HNC Computing from ITPT offers a range of broad based software technology, web technology and database modules including modules that cover elements of the Java Programming, SQL, user centred design and etc.
These technologies can be learned and mastered by completing the both HNC & HND.
What learners will I study?
- Students will study a selection of appropriate software, hardware, networking, and computer science units designed to develop student’s skills and competencies in systems analysis and software development and to enable further study in this subject area at HND level.
- Students will study a selection of appropriate technical support and networking units designed to develop student’s skills and competencies to enable further study in HND Technical Support & HND Networking level.
Topics may include:
- Hardware Installation & Maintenance
- Designing, Building and Maintaining Web Sites
- Design and Develop Databases to Work with Applications
- Demonstrate Professional Skills Required for Industry
- Carryout Technical Support
- Small Network Administration
- Programming languages, testing and different stages
- Project Management
- Network Security
- Managing Server
- Gaining Cloud knowledge
Minimum Entry Requirements is likely to include at least one of the following:
- National Certificate in Digital media Computing at SCQF level 5 or level 6 or a combination of both OR
- Any two relevant National Courses at Higher together with three Standard Grade/Intermediate passes OR
- Any two relevant new National Courses at Higher, based on the Curriculum for Excellence, together with three passes at National 5 level in appropriate subjects OR
- An SVQ at level 2 or 3 in information Technology or other relevant area OR
- A programme of national Units to the course you want to study OR
- Relevant National Progression Awards OR
- National Units at appropriate levels combined with any of the above OR
- IT Professional Training recognises that many students come to the institutes with a wide range of expertise, skills and knowledge that has never been officially assessed. This may have been gained through a variety of personal situations OR
- If you do not have the relevant qualifications for the course you applied for, you will be required to provide details of your previous learning experiences that are of the same level as the entry qualifications for your selected course. Applicants with relevant experience but without formal qualifications may be accepted via interview OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or computing experience will also be considered OR
- Vendor qualifications (certificates) will also be accepted such as from Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, Oracle, CIW, Adobe, etc.
Additional Selection Requirements:
All applications are subject to an interview to assess suitability in terms of academic qualifications and motivation. Reference will also be considered.
Students will be invited for a group and/or individual interview where they will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and tell us why they are interested in this particular area.
Career Development Routes
This course integrates learning materials from industry standard vendors such as CompTIA, Cisco, Oracle, Microsoft, and CIW which can help to prepare students for a variety of vendor certification exams.
On completion of this certificate or during the course, units relevant to any particular vendor’s certification students can appear to equip themselves with the global recognised and employers demand qualification from any of the following:
- CompTIA: A+, N+, Security+, Cloud Essential
- Microsoft: MCSA Server, MTA, MCDS
- Oracle: Database Design & Programming
- CIW: Database & Web Development
All vendors external exams fee have to be borne by the students. But being a partner with Pearson & Certiport Testing Centre we can get student’s 10-25 % discounts on their exam vouchers. Tutors will also provide students (bank of questions) to help them to pass when appearing for any Vendors specific external exam.
In HND, there will be more opportunity to learn further vendors based SQA units which will help students to attain further vendors specific certificate which is today’s employers demand.
Progression Route on First Year Course Completion
On completion of this course, candidates will move on to the following:
- 2nd year in HND Computing: Software Development
- 2nd year in HND Computing: Computer Science
- 2nd year in HND Computing: Networking
- 2nd year HND Computing: Technical Support
- Entry into the first year of related BSc Computing Degree programmes at most UK universities.
Graduates from this programme will be well-positioned to apply for industry jobs such as;
- IT Technician
- IT Support Technician
- Systems Administrator
- Junior Software Developer
- Software Administrator
- Web Administrator
- Assistant Project Manager
- Data Administrator
- Data Analyst
- Web Developer
- Desktop Technician
- Network Administrator
- Network Support Technician
- Server Administrator
The forms are available to download from our website HNC Application Form or it can be collected from the Admissions Office (Admin upstairs) at ITPT Granton Campus.
1. SAAS – SAAS.GOV.COM
2. SDS – Flexible learning opportunity (who are currently employed in Scottish Based organisation not more than 100 employees can also apply for the course funding)
For Students who don’t qualify for the above fundings:
How much HNC/HND course will cost?
For students living (domiciled) in Scotland or the European Union and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees will apply:
Higher National Awards (HNC, HND)
|Full-time per year (can be paid in instalments)||£1,285|
|Part-time (can be divided per unit)||£1,285|
For rest of UK students
For students living (domiciled) in rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term time address in Scotland and studying this course, the following fees will apply:
Higher National Awards (HNC, HND)
|Full-time per year (can be paid in instalments)||£6,510|
|Part-time (can be divided per unit)||£4,510|
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
We also provide flexible fee instalments to help students in paying their fee.
There are a number of other funding opportunities available to UK and EU students to help them to pay for their studies and also to cover cost of living whilst studying. Contact the college for more details.
If you require further information please contact us at:
Email: [email protected]
62 West Harbour Road
Phone: 0131 552 5558
0131 552 5800
50 Darnely Street
Phone: 0141 429 2922
|Developing Software: Introduction|
|Professionalism & Ethics in Computing|
|Computer Systems Fundamentals|
|Trouble shooting Computer Problems|
|Team Working in Computing|
|Computing: Graded Unit 1|
|PC Hardware & Operating System Essentials|
|PC Hardware & Operating System Support|
|Building Local Area Networks|
|Managing a Web server|
|Database Design Fundamentals|